Position Title: Associate Director of Application Development
Department: The Office of Educational Technology
Reports To: Director of Application Development
Founded in 2005, Georgia Gwinnett College (GGC) is one of 28 institutions within the University System of Georgia. GGC is a premier 21st century liberal arts institution accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges. Serving nearly 13,000 students, GGC’s innovative practices, caring culture, and extremely affordable tuition are changing the game in higher education and changing the future for students at all levels, of all ages, and from all walks of life. Gwinnett County (pop. 920,000+) is home to a variety of businesses, including organizations involved in health care, education and information technology.
The Associate Director of Application Development assists the Director of Application Development in leading a team of software engineers, data programmers and business analysts providing technology leadership, planning, and a wide range of services supporting GGC Faculty and Staff. The development team deliver both custom application solutions and integration with existing systems.
- Develop and manage large, complex application systems.
- Integrate with existing solutions.
- Determine technical requirements based on customer needs.
- Maintain documentation of solutions and services provided.
- Work with the Educational Technology Project Manager to ensure that project expectations and timeframes are documented.
- Work with Enterprise Services to ensure that software products adhere to security standards and are maintainable by the Enterprise Services team.
- Develop and maintain departmental coding and deployment standards.
- Seek out staff development and training opportunities as new technologies enter the marketplace.
- Attend client meetings to gather functional business requirements.
- Explore new and innovative ways to solve complex problems through the use of technology.
- Develop a diverse team of individuals to provide these services.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or Related fields
- Five (5) years of hands-on application development experience.
- Demonstrated experience with application development principles & techniques.
- Experience with technical project planning, change management and documentation skills.
- Experience in version control systems such as git, svn or mercurial.
- Experience in managing and documenting products over a full application development lifecycle.
- Experience in high-level programming languages such as PHP, Perl, Python and Java.
- Experience integrating code with back-end databases such as Oracle and MySQL.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with a team of diverse IT professionals, clients, and partners.
- Demonstrated experience establishing credibility and relationships with senior leadership, colleagues, and customers.
- Demonstrated ability to assess business process needs and provide appropriate technology solutions.
- Demonstrated problem solving skills.
- Ability to adapt within a rapidly changing technical environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to explain technical concepts to audiences with a wide range of technical skills.
- Ability to effectively communicate and work with individuals from diverse backgrounds or cultures.
- Master's Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or Related fields
- Experience with CollegeNET R25/25Live or similar system
- Experience in programming languages such as C and C++ preferred.
- Experience in managing application developers.
- Experience in business analysis and/or process optimization.
- PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Position may require local travel. Ability to lift and carry files and materials. Ability to move from one office to another office on campus. Adequate vision, hearing and manual dexterity to interact with people in person, on the phone and in writing. Must be able to perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodations.